bethwlowery

Thursday, February 16, 2006

???

I typed up an entry last nite, but did not finalize the publishing... sorry. you get two tonite. i am sorry that there has not yet been a posting on the WCC general assembly. i will make this brief, but will compose a stronger and more interesting entry for later in the day.

I will share a story:

I was sitting next to a man from Cameroon on the bus to the hotel last nite. I decided to attempt a conversation in french... the thing is, i understand the lanuag, but cannot speak it. A woman came and spoke about ecumenical envolvement including passion, humility and humiliation. i definitely got the humiliation bit down that day. I could only speak the most basic sentences and found myself completely reliant on my mother~s translation. i made a fool of myslef, but still made a connection with a man from a culture completely different than my own. i appreciated everything. the conversation was interesting, and it taught me an important lesson: humiliation comes with eccumanism, but it is well worth everthing,

Also, i must say that it is completely refreshing to attend an assembly and know that my opinion/interpretation of the Biblical texts are not totally off base... even our Orthodox brothers and sisters -- about whom I was not certain of their general political leanings -- are in favor of social and political activism for peace and justice in the world. it is wonderful to no longer be in the minority, in our large body, we will seek to transform the world.

i apologize that it is not longer, but i will do my best to set something up later in the day.

cheers,
b

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home