bethwlowery

Thursday, February 23, 2006

an affair with the orthodox

I have had a very interesting reaction to the Orthodox here at the assembly. I will admit that I am guilty of an uneducated assumption, expecting the Orthodox to be conservative and ridged participants in the WCC. However, it quickly became apparent that I was totally incorrect. Many of the Orthodox I have incountered have been overwhelmingly progressive on issues of justice, human rights, and peace. They are active participants in the ecumenical movement and are dedicated to Church unity. I have much respect.

As I mentioned before, I find myself oddly drawn to the Orthodox (religiously... it has nothing to do with the amazing Romanian Orthodox priest with whom I danced the other night). I am attracted to the ceremonial aspect of their faith traditions. I recognize several similarities between the Orthodox and Disciples of Christ. WE are both New Testament churches, who search for our Christian identity and guide for activity in the New Testament Scripture. Also, both communions assert the importance of Eucharist within any worship experience. the WCC refers to our morning and evening gatherings as "prayers." In the Orthodox tradition, Eucharist the the neccessary component of "worship." Disipcles founder Alexander Campbell articulated our worship experience: with the breakin gof bread, Christ is crucified, and through worship he is ressurected. In the DOC tradition, Christ is risen again each time we worship together.

That all being said, I am deeply affected by the continuing seperation at Christ's table. We share two very important views of our faith: yet, we cannot share in communion. It is in Christ that we are united with God and with each other; but, how can we truly find that unification if we caannot meet at the table of Christ? My heart pains at this current reality. We must be able to share in the body of Christ if we are to ever be the active body of Christ engaged in the world. It is my hope that one day we can be.

God in your grace, transform our hearts, and thus transform the world.

1 Comments:

At 3:32 PM, Blogger Vy said...

I really like your reflection and I sympathize with your pain. The orthodoxs, if you talk to them one on one, are very progressive and do believe in many of the social justice issues. It is once you get them together to talk about it, I think, they start to hold back a little, or so it seems. I have also noticed that it is much harder to talk with them about justice without them adding the faith component. In a way this is good, but at the same time our theology is where we start to divide when we start to share it. Often I have to ask myself how much tolerance do I have within me to stay in dialogue? Their theology is beautiful, especially their liturgy in worship, but once you start dwelling in their ideas and ask them to talk about it, for me, it becomes very frustrating because some of it goes against many of my deep inner belief.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home